Saturday, May 5, 2007

Hate crimes

GJ in the comments:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a little L Ron. At least he didn't say Dianetics. Imagine the response if he had picked that great American novel.

By the way DC, this article doesn't have to do with your post, but let me know your opinion on Bush threatening to veto this:
http://www.abpnews.com/2130.article
The article is about how Bush plans to veto an extension of hate crime protection to gays. I basically take the Andrew Sullivan position on this issue. I don't think we should have hate crime laws, but as long as we DO have them, the only reason not to include gay people in them is bigotry. He explains more eloquently than I could here.

As for Bush, it's pretty clear that he's doing this to throw a bone the base. Everything I've read suggests that Bush, like Dick Cheney, is personally very tolerant and accepting of gays, which makes his pandering on the matter even worse.

No comments: