Thursday, August 30, 2007

Goodbye Gonzo, Hello ...

Liberals across the country are rejoicing at Alberto Gonzales' resignation, and sure, it's good, but who will take his place? Will s/he be any more competent or apolitical? Perhaps there is hope, as Donald Rumsfeld was replaced with Robert Gates. Although, perhaps that wasn't even that great. Was there any significant policy change after Rumsfeld left? Not as far as I can tell. So, the best we can expect from Gonzo's replacement is probably a competent person who will forward irrational policies. After all, the Bush Administration will not all of a sudden insist on an apolitical Justice Department (and I doubt that any modern administration would). So, is Gonzo's ousting worth celebrating?

Maybe for a little, sure. Even if nothing changes, at least the point has been made that incompetent hacks do not deserve to sit in high governmental positions. That certainly doesn't mean that any lesson has been learned, though. I think the Bush administration is incapable of learning from mistakes, because they are incapable of admitting mistakes. So, here's what I expect in Bush's nominee: a political clone of Gonzo (who is really just a political clone of Bush), but with better credentials. I suppose that's a step in the right direction.

P.S. I apologize for my absence from blogging. I will do my best to post at least a few times a week during the next few months.

No comments: